Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Welcome to The Chaos Waves Technology HowTo Blog

Ignorance can be fixed! Nerding, Fixing Ignorance, Chaos, Waves, Technology, and Learning. That's what the Chaos Waves blog is all about.

Welcome!

At Chaos Waves "Nerding" is a verb. When I'm working on Linux systems I'm nerding. When I'm working on Android I'm nerding. When I'm working on Windows I'm nerding.When I'm working on Cisco gear I'm nerding. When I'm fixing my wife's laptop (again!) I'm nerding.

Nerding is learning. Nerding is doing. So now, Nerding is a verb. Let's do some Nerding now!

At Choas Waves Ignorance is OK only if you want to fix it by learning something new. I'm not afraid to say "I don't know", because I know I won't be ignorant for long. I'll fix the ignorance by learning.

Ignorance is Fixable; Stupid just is.

Changing technology never stops and it blasts at us in new and unexpected ways; that's Chaos. On the other hand, the challenges of keeping those systems running faster and safer are non-stop; those are the Waves.

Chaos + Waves = Zen. Common sense solutions that balance high tech change against solid performance.

I've been nerding since a Commodore 64 was a cool little computer (of course I was 12 years old), since Netware 386 was the best of breed (Novell, how did you blow this so badly?), and since Minix (pre-Linux) fit on eight 1.44MB floppies that you downloaded from a dial-up BBS running on Mustang Wildcat! (At least Linux survived the years.)

Right now my favorites are Linux (usually Red Hat and Ubuntu, with Knoppix always nearby), Cisco gear and technologies, and VMware hypervisors (I'm done with ESX, moving on to ESXi).
Also security, security, security. Keep it running! Keep it safe! Sleep better at night.

This blog is dedicated learning new ideas and techniques and paying it forward. I learn something new, I'll tell you. If you can use the information I hope you'll tell us how you used it. If you know better then I hope you'll tell us about that too!

My latest project tangent is using PXE with a Cisco router configured for DHCP specifically for headless (happy Halloween) computers and virtual machines.


No comments:

Post a Comment